While I have not been blogging the past 2 months, I have been working on the garden. Back in Late March I made a garden plan:
I then placed an order to Johnny's Seeds. I actually planted only Soybeans in the back row (no butter beans) and Garden of Eden's instead of the Marvel of Venice. This year I added lots more beans, cucumbers, and a second variety beets. Sue started seedlings back in early April, but then I got swamped with work and coaching. I never managed to clear the garden and plant the early crops. Last Friday the garden looked like this:
On Saturday, I managed to clean the garden and plant the the ledt and middle quadrants of the garden. The soil is awesome! I added buckets of compost to each bed I planted, but even without the additions, the compost, rock phosphate, and green sand from last year clearly had an impact on the soil.
I wrapped up the planting this afternoon and here is what the garden looks like now:
I was not able to plan as many squash as I planned (only 1 winter and 1 summer) because the seedlings did not come through. Sue did start some pumpkins which worked great so I planted them in that area too. Also, the far left I planted the potatoes in bags. I am hopeful this will boost the yield.
More later, I promise.