Monday, September 7, 2009

Preserving Peppers: Hot Pepper Relish

One of things about trying to grow new things is that you never know how well or poorly things will go. I have not had too many vegetables overwhelm me this summer, with the exception of hot peppers. I have hot peppers coming in from the CSA, two pots on my deck growing Bella Hots, and another variety of slightly hot pepper growing on my deck from my father-in-law (I think they are a variety of banana pepper, but I transplanted them expecting them to be bell peppers so I really have no idea). I decided that the best way to use these would be to attempt a hot pepper relish that I could use as a condiment throughout the winter.

After a bit of research, I went with the basic recipe from http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/hot-pepper-relish.htm. I started up with about a pound of peppers once I had removed the stems and seeds (this was 5 Bella Hots, 3 bananas from my deck, one CSA banana pepper, and 2 small green chill peppers from the CSA). I put the peppers in the Cuisinart with a large onion (also from the CSA). I then followed the recipe using 1 tablespoon of sea salt, 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of sugar. I am very pleased with the sweet, slightly spicy final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment