Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dark Days Meal

I cooked a fairly true Dark Days meal this week using Steak from Balance Rock farm, green beans I froze this summer, and purple potatoes that came either from the CSA or the Garden (not sure, some are mixed together).

I started by chopping the potatoes into pieces. Then I sauteed them in olive oil with salt and pepper in an oven proof pan. I then tossed them in the oven for 25 or so minutes. Next, I sauteed some onions and mushrooms in some butter (all from parts unknown). Once softened, I added some vegetable broth, a little white wine, and some sage. I reduced this for 5-6 minutes. Once this mushroom mix was done, I put it in the bowl off to the side, wiped down the pan, and I then seared the steak in the pas with butter. Once it was seared on both sides, I put the steak in the oven to finish cooking along with the potatoes. While the steak and potatoes finished, I steamed the beans.
I think the vegetables came out great, but I may have over seared the steak a bit (a bit tough not burned). Fortunately, the mushroom mixture on the steak was really great and hid my mistake nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment