Saturday, December 5, 2009

Local Christmas Tree

Today, we started what I hope is a new tradition: we cut down our own Christmas tree! Being a bit crazy about local foods, I had thought for a while about whether or not this was possible. A couple of weeks ago I came across the website: http://www.pickyourownchristmastree.org/. At the site you can search by state and county for places where you can cut down your own Christmas tree. A quick search found a small place VERY close to our house called Marsh's Tree Farm (978-464-2413) on Rte. 31 in Princeton. They are open 9:30-4:30 on weekends so we headed out at 9:30.The place has lots of trees (Blue Spruce, White Spruce, Balsam Fir, Fraser Fir, Concolor Fir, Canaan Fir, and White Pine) scattered over what looks like a couple of acres. Like the nerds we are, Sue and I wandered around looking at trees for half an hour with the boys following us around. Eventually we picked out a tree and I went to work:

We dragged out the tree, they wrapped it and it only cost $40.
Once home, I got the tree up in the stand and then Sue and the boys decorated it. Sue even made a wreath out of the extra boughs I cut to get the tree into the stand.

I know it is not food, but I feel great about having a local tree at the center of our Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment