Monday, April 13, 2009

Local Food Field Trip: Nashoba Valley Winery


When considering how to cook the turkey legs I picked up last week on my last field trip, I thought that they would be good braised in some white wine. Unfortunately when I checked our wine rack, there was nothing really suitable. This made me happy since it was a perfect excuse to make a field trip to a local winery (a normal person would just go to a liquor store, but if I was normal I wouldn't have started this blog). So today I stopped at the Nashoba Valley Winery on my way home from work.

Behind their restaurant in Bolton there is the have a wine shop that sells a wide variety of solid, reasonably priced wines.

Honestly, I have only had one bad wine from them (it was one of the Blueberry wines... but not the Blueberry Merlot). I bought 6 bottles of wine for $70 bucks which I consider pretty good. The wines I selected today were:

White Wines
Cyser: Honey-Apple Wine
Gravenstein: Dry Apple Wine
2008 Riesling
2007 Gewurztraminer

Red Wines
2007 Renaissance (Merlot/Cabernet Franc/Lemberger Blend)
Chrysleton - 20% Elderberry 80% Apple Wine (OK this one is reddish, rather than an actually red)

I've had the Cyser and Renaissance before and they were both solid. The rest will be a bit of an adventure. They also have beer at the winery, but I have never tried it. I will definitely pick some up on my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment