Thursday, July 23, 2009

Local Food Field Trip: Berries & Blooms


Today, I took the boys to Berries & Bloom to go blueberry picking. (31 South Road, Holden (508) 829-5494). This is a little Ma and Pa place that sells some garden vegetables, blueberries and raspberries, but mainly where you can pick your own blueberries and cut your own annual flowers.

There is about an acre of blueberry bushes in rows where you can pick from 8am - 5pm everyday (except Tuesdays) through the season. They opened yesterday so we made our first trip.

Overall, we picked nearly 4 lbs. (they were a little less than $2 a pound). Miles is now to an age where he actually does contribute to our haul but I am pretty sure Calvin ate more than he put in the bucket.

This will be a weekly trip for us through the end of summer since we can easily eat more than 4 pounds of blueberries each week. Plus, I plan on making some blueberry preserves in the next couple of days to see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. I love this PYO blueberry spot. The owners are so nice, the berries delicious, the picking easy, and the prices good. Better than Tougas, which is fun for the kids, but higher priced and also does not bring the sense of peace that I love about picking berries early in the morning, even when my child is with me.

    ReplyDelete