Saturday, July 25, 2009

Peas, Beans and a Local Lunch


Today I picked my first group of Neapolitan Beans and another small group of peas (this represents about a quarter of the peas I have picked to date). The string beans took a couple of attempts to get the trellising right (see here and here) so it is nice to get some actual beans from the struggles. Based on what is still growing in the garden, I would expect to get at least 2 more pickings in the weeks to come. Since this my first attempt with this variety of bean, I have know idea if they continue to produce new flowers and beans throughout the summer. Maybe this is the start of weeks of these big beans.

Inspired by the peas I picked, and by the small zucchini and summer squash that sat on the kitchen counter but did not look like they would survive the weekend, I made the dish above for today's lunch. I pealed the zucchini and summer squash into pasta-thin ribbons. In a small pan, I heated a couple tablespoons of olive oil added a clove of crushed garlic. After about a minuted I added in a bunch of pea pods (I snapped the long ones in half to make them more bite sized) and tossed to cover them with oil. I then added the ribbons and tossed again. I cooked this on medium heat, occasionally stirring to prevent burning. The ribbons gave off water as they cooked slightly softening them and the pea pods. After it was cooked (just a couple of minutes), I topped the mixture with salt, pepper, and shredded Parmesan. It was quick, light, and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment