Monday, August 24, 2009

Blueberry Blondies and Syrup

I took the boys blueberry picking for possibly the final time this summer. Everyone is back in school full time next week so we will not be able make are usual Monday trip. Inspired by a variety of sources, I decided to make some treats with the blueberries while we still had them in excess.
While Calvin napped, Miles assisted me in making blueberry blondies. I used a base recipe for blondies from Smitten Kitchen, adding about 2/3 of a cup of fresh blueberries to the mix. I asked Miles what he wanted to have for afternoon snack and then turned around to see that he had scarfed down one and was reaching for a second. I call that a positive review. As an aside, I do not fancy myself as much of a baker. A cook yes, but not so much with the baking. With that said, almost every time I read Smitten Kitchen I am inspired to bake something... or at least eat some baked goods.
Last night, I whipped up some blueberry syrup. For about 15 minutes I boiled down about a cup and and a half of blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a quarter cup of water. I smashed the blueberries with a spoon and then poured the mush through cheese cloth. I would say that I got roughly 6 ounces of syrup from this which will go on tonight's pancakes.

Now, I just need some inspiration so I can figure out how to deal with all of the hot peppers I have growing on the deck...

No comments:

Post a Comment