Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Past Week in the Garden


We had another very wet week in the garden, but I still managed to get a fair amount done in spite of the rain. The brussels sprouts and celeriac continue to plug along on track for a fall harvest. The warm weather plants fortunately got temperatures above 80 for most of the week so they were fairly happy even with all the rain. The 4 peppers that we have growing in pots on the deck produced a lot of flowers.

There are actually a few small peppers out on the deck today! The tomatoes also responded to the warmth and the 4th of July's began to turn red (right on schedule?).

We continue to struggle with BER on the zucchini, but there do appear to be some healthy fruit coming as well. The added compost may have reduced the stress level of the plants even though we had more heavy rains. I hope these stay healthy!

On Saturday, I pulled out the pea and potato plants. The peas had really slowed their production over the past 2 weeks and both sets of plants were being ravaged by slugs and other pests. I have made a second planting of each of the these in hopes of a fall harvest. Since this is my first attempt with potatoes, I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad harvest, but it is what it is. I got just over 1 pound of potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment