Sunday, June 28, 2009

Local Fare for Dinner


A lot of tonight's dinner was not local (peanut oil, cashews, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown rice) so I am hesitant to call it a local meal. With that said, I did use several ingredients from last weeks CSA share in tonight's stir fry, namely green onions, garlic scapes, kale, peas (plus some from our garden too!), and local honey. Here is a rough summary of the recipe (Inspired by a recipe from Mark Bittman's Food Matters):

1. In a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil, I sauteed 2 garlic scapes, 2 green onions, and about 10 kale stems. All were chopped into .5" - 1" pieces before I added them to the pan.

2. While the stems cooked, I mixed together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of honey.

3. After about 3 minutes of sauteing, I added chopped kale leaves to the pan.

4. Two minutes later, I added a little more oil, a cup of raw whole cashews and a bunch of sugar snap peas.

5. After about 4 minutes, I added the soy sauce mixture, tossed for about a minute, then served over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment