Monday, June 29, 2009

Tonight's Dinner and Wee Little Carrots


Tonight, I made another heavily local dinner: Veggie, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Oven Baked Omelet.

1. Cut up 3 slices of Bacon (in this case local Blood Farm Bacon) and pan fry it on medium-high for a couple of minutes.

2. Then Add 2 diced green onions, 3 diced garlic scapes, and the chopped stems from a bunch of chard. Sauteed these for around 10 minutes.

3. Added the chopped chard leaves and mix it until the leaves are nicely wilted.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together 6 eggs, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Once the chard wilted, stir in the egg mixture, top with a couple of ounces of goat cheese (from Crystal Brook Farm).

5. Baked it for about 25 minutes at 400 degrees (If this was an actual recipe I would have started by saying pre-heat the oven).

If I knew the source of the eggs, then I might be able to call this a truly local meal. Maybe next time. It was definitely good enough to make again.

On a separate note, I decided to pull up my first harvet of carrots tonight. On April 18th, I planned a row of little finger carrots, nantes, and beets. Unfortunately, some early weather, and some ill-timed tarping of the garden, killed off all but 3 of the little finger seedlings. I wasn't sure if they were ready, but I figured I pick them and find out. It turned out that one was ready (they are only supposed to grow 3 inches long), but the others were not quite there. I also learned that waiting for greens to get to be more than 12" long may be a good rule of thumb for deciding when these carrots are ready. I am going to turn over this bed and start another planting that will hopefully be ready in early-September. I also have seedlings that should be ready in 2 weeks and more ready in 4 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment