Saturday, June 20, 2009

Local Food Field Trip: Tougas Farm


This morning, the family and I trekked to Tougas Farm in Nothborough. Some co-workers told me that the strawberry picking was amazing this spring due to the cool, wet weather this month. The picking was great indeed! Sue and I managed to pick 10 and a half pounds of strawberries in about a half an hour.

Miles contributed a few and Calvin picked the ones we told him were OK and then ate handful as well (at least one he ate leaves and all). Here is Calvin is his red shirt (a smart choice by mom):

Using the chard from this week's CSA and some of these strawberries, I put together a dinner and dessert with a local flare.

I used Sautéed Swiss Chard Ribs with Cream and Pasta I got from Simply Recipes and the Strawberries and Dumplings recipe posted earlier this week on Smitten Kitchen. For the chard recipe I make a few changes. I chop the chard leaves and add them to the butter and stems for the final minute of the saute. I also add 1/4 cup of cheese (tonight I used mozzarella) right before I mix in the pasta at the end. It ends up being more of a chard mac'n'cheese than a cream sauce, but it goes over better with the boys with the cheese.

The only adjustment I made to the dessert was I substituted honey for the sugar. The honey is local (thanks to Mike Perkins) and the sugar probably is not. That's the type of guy I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment